Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
- Our client offers short & long term work opportunities in diverse & challenging environments across the globe. They are looking for creative, results focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
- With over 4,000 personnel & approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of our clients partners spread across 80 countries, their workforce represents a wide range of nationalities & cultures. They promote a balanced, diverse workforce, a strength that helps them better understand & address their partners’ needs & continually strive to improve their gender balance through initiatives & policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization:
- Our client values its people & recognizes the importance of balancing professional & personal demands.
Background information on the project:
- Our client implements projects on behalf of UN agencies & bilateral donors & in close coordination with govt. & national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large scale procurement, project development & technical management & provides financial, HR & infrastructure related services. The functional objective of our client is to deliver its projects in an efficient, effective manner & in line with the principles, rules & regulations of our client, to achieve the outcomes sought by their partners. Our client has been active in Iraq since 2004, delivering close to 50 projects worth over USD 260 million. They have a very strong relationship with the key counterparts at both the central & regional govt. levels in Iraq.
- They operate from their operational hub in Amman & support their country office in Baghdad & its sub office in Erbil. The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans & procedures of the UN security management system & that of our client. They are committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
- Our client is undertaking a 3 year project that aims to improve basic living conditions for returnees in the liberated rural areas of Al Anbar governorate through the rehabilitation of up to 1,000 housing units & restoration of decentralized services. The decentralized services component will entail the provision of solar street lighting, the rehabilitation of selected community roads, water & sanitation networks & / or stations. When feasible, the rehabilitated housing units will be connected to the restored decentralized services taking into consideration the whole neighborhood. The rehabilitation of housing & basic services will be guided by a needs based approach.
Under the overall guidance of the Project Manager the direct supervision of the Lead Civil Engineer, the Civil Engineer is required to perform the following specific duties & responsibilities ensuring their effectiveness, transparency & integrity:
Coordination, delivery & performance:
- Responsible for conducting damage assessment of shelters, buildings, & infrastructures & preparing scope of work.
- Responsible for preparing the bill of quantities, as built & construction drawings.
- Responsible for day to day coordination with the contractors & suppliers according to the needs & requirements on site.
- Inspects & report on contractor’s works in progress ensuring that the contractor meets our clients quality standards.
- Provide support & guidance to the contractor & assists in resolving site problems, as necessary.
- Responsible for supervision of technical staff & consultants assigned to the project & the assignment & monitoring of duties during the progress of works.
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social & gender inclusion, as well as Health, Safety, Security & Environmental (HSSE) aspects into the project during the design & construction phases.
- Ensure PSEA measures are implemented throughout the project implementation, as per the country PSEA action plan.
- Perform other related duties as required by the Project Manager.
Governance, monitoring & reporting:
- Check contractors’ & suppliers set out & work, including compliance with contracts specifications & ensures that contractors & suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work within the specified scope of work, time frame & budget.
- Attend daily the project site(s) in order to monitor the progress of works, identify the existing problems & provide appropriate solutions through the application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the Project Manager.
- Responsible for preparation of progress reports on construction activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works & submission of such on a weekly basis to the Project Manager.
- Assess & report on the project closing plans, archiving of cost & progress report & hand over all related reports to the Project Manager.
- Evaluate & assess works schedules & programs, including the comparison with the schedule baselines & reports to the Project Manager accordingly.
- Check all laboratory reports, operation & maintenance manuals, keep records & report to the Project Manager accordingly.
- Assess the work activities of contractor(s), measure completed work & make recommendations to the Project Manager for progress payments to contractors.
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports & any specific reports required by our clients standard procedures.
- Responsible for the preparation & verification of a database for the available materials shipped to the project, schedules of labor force & monitoring of quality of such during the progress of works.
- Check, verify & approve the interim payments submitted by the contractor(s) & submit detailed reports to the Project Manager.
- This role works under the overall guidance of the Project Manager the direct supervision of the Lead Civil Engineer.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience in Middle East (essential).
- Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university in Civil Engineering or Construction Management with 5 years of relevant experience is required or Master’s Degree from a recognized university is desired.
- Membership of the Iraqi Engineers Association is required.
- Prince2, PMP or similar project management certification is an asset.
- At least 2 years of experience in civil works design, supervision, or implementation of buildings construction, infrastructure & / or rehabilitation projects in Iraq & / or the Middle East region is required.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 & higher) is required.
- Work Experience with an international organization & / or UN agencies is an asset.
- High proficiency with computers & other software / platforms related to the positions field of expertise. Good experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs & Slides is desired.
- Must be fluent in English & Arabic (Reading, speaking & writing).
- Treats all individuals with respect, responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational & ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates & supports the development of others. Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs & inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles (For people managers only).
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self & / or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences & modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
- Building’s construction consulting services, design.
- Residential buildings.
- Computer drawings software, particularly “AutoCAD.
- Ability to use standard planning management software particularly MS Project or Primavera.
- Health & safety management.
- Quality control.
- Project management.
- Risk analysis.
- Client management.
Other relevant information:
- Candidates applying for this role need to have relevant work experience in civil works design, supervision or implementation of buildings construction related-projects in Iraq & / or the Middle East region.
- Preference will be given to candidates based in Anbar.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.