Career and Business Development Advisor - Migration Advice Centre Context
The Global Programme “Programme Migration for Development” (PME) is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to establish migration advice structures in eleven partner countries of German Development Cooperation.
The objective of the programme is to strengthen the development-relevant contributions of migrants in their countries of origin and improve the framework conditions for legal migration in selected partner countries. This objective is actively being pursued by the following components: (1) Migration Policy Advice (2) Migration Advice (3) Development-oriented Return of Migrants (4) Diaspora Cooperation (5) Business Ideas for Development.
The focus of the component “Career Centre” of the Migration Advice Centre is to provide counselling services for returning migrants as well as the job seekers. The centre provides counselling services and information on vocational and educational programs, employment opportunities in the country, business start-up and business development advice. For this purpose, counselling services are tailored to each client individually and kept open-ended. Apart from assessing each case individually and subsequent referencing and counselling services, the programme intends to provide tailored support and qualification measures to the returning migrants and members of the host community.
Overall Purpose of Post
The position holder will be directly involved in the career and training section of the centre. He/She will carry advise and support for returnees and host community members who are looking jobs. He/She works in a team of advisors under the supervision of the National Coordinator. He/She compiles research and makes available relevant information, offers and actors in the labour market in Iraq. He/She will be responsible to design, run and organize income generation and employment-related training, workshops and seminars. He/She will be in charge of approaching universities and organizing capacity building activities. He/She will be in charge of approaching the private sector companies for employment cooperation. He/She supports the team in the development of the activities and approaches of the centres. He/She additionally supports the team during field-work in regard to communication with various actors.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assist in the creation, development and evaluation of career services.
- Developing plans to further expand the activities and projects of the Career Centre.
- Conducting regular capacity building workshops and training for job seekers, both in-house and remotely.
- Assisting in the organization and planning of Career Fairs.
- Preparing job descriptions, offers and contracts according to the Iraqi Labour Law.
- Providing individual job search / matching and application assistance to returnees and members of the host community.
- Providing up-to-date advice on business start-up and business development.
- Continuous information gathering of available jobs in the market.
- Contributing to business ideas and plans of returnees.
- Assisting in organizing gatherings and panels for young entrepreneurs and small business owners.
- Researching and Monitoring the Iraqi labour market needs, requirements and opportunities.
- Arranging the provision of services like vacancy announcements, screening, shortlisting and job matching.
- Assisting job seekers with job applications, better writing their CVs and preparing them for job interviews.
- University degree, preferably in the field of Business Management, Social Sciences or other related fields
- At least 2 to 4 years of working experience in recruitment, HR or other related positions
- Proficiency in English, Kurdish and Arabic, German language skill is an advantage
- Wide familiarity with the Iraqi labour market and the Iraqi labour law
- Able to present and conduct workshops, training and seminars
- Attention to detail with a strong focus on privacy and protection of sensitive personal data and information
- Experience in working with or in the field of development cooperation and/or labour market policy
- Experience in advising job-seekers or similar clients
- Knowledge in the legal basis for labour migration to Germany is an asset
- Excellent team-working and communication skills
- Ability to work and perform under pressure independently
- Attention to detail and accuracy are imperative whilst multitasking to support various colleagues and meeting tight deadlines
- Able to establish a good and respectful working relationship with all staff in the organization, demonstrating accountability and transparency to the roles and responsibilities
- Good IT skills
- Fast-learner and willingness to be flexible and prepared to contribute to the organisation in other duties as required.