World Vision International is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. World Vision - Iraq Office is looking for a highly qualified and motivated person for the position of Advocacy and Communications Coordinator- Erbil.
The advocacy and Communications Coordinator position is to manage WV Iraq’s field communications and support its humanitarian/nexus advocacy efforts. The role provides strategic and technical support and resources to the World Vision Partnership to appropriately engage with its various public engagement audiences at national, regional, and global levels in order to raise funds and the profile of WV Iraq.
This position effectively engages with the UN, international donors, and partners, to assist WV in continuously leveraging its programming to achieve WV’s vision of every child living life in all its fullness.
This position is part of the Senior Management Team (SMT). It also assists the Response Director in overall strategic and external engagement leadership.
Strategy, Planning & Management
- Develop/Update Communications, Advocacy, and External Engagement strategies considering the changing context (humanitarian-development-peacebuilding), WV’s global brand and campaign on ending violence against children, and the regional meta-narrative on fragility and children on the move.
- Develop an annual Advocacy, Communications, and External Engagement plan in collaboration with the SLT/SMT and other key staff with a clear set of Advocacy and Communications deliverables and associated metrics based on the FO priorities.
- Collaborate with resource development teams to ensure integration of child protection and participation, research & evidence, and campaign objectives in program design and proposal development.
- Effectively manage and guide direct report(s), and ensure performance plan(s) and review(s) are done periodically
- Support the production of advocacy reports with particular emphasis on giving children a voice.
- Provide evidence, messaging, and action items to external stakeholders on WV advocacy positioning and priorities for Iraq, namely child protection, violence against children, protection of civilians, fragility, and the humanitarian-development-peacebuilding nexus.
- Support teams in preparation of advocacy reports, position papers, and concept papers on Child well-being issues that can contribute to policy dialogue.
- Manage all response-related advocacy reporting requirements at FO, RO, and GC levels.
- Lead Maturity Framework and Advocacy Success Matrix / Advocacy Strategic Measures (ASM) dialogue and provide quarterly updates for the Response Director.
- In collaboration with the Communications Officer and key staff and partners, source content in the form of video, photos, and stories related to children’s needs.
- Manage the production of multimedia resources, both through field level and partnership level support.
- Manage the production of written materials including stories and reports i.e. Annual Report.
- Ensure materials produced contribute to the positioning of WV Iraq and have meaningful child participation, wherever possible.
- Manage content systems such as Story Hub / Content Flow and Kissflow, etc.
Media & Social Media Engagement
- Develop a media engagement strategy as part of an integrated communications plan.
- Establish internal connections with relevant Support Offices to promote international media engagement while adhering to the Global Media Protocols and guidelines.
- Coordinate visits by WV leaders and delegations, influencers, and media including required approvals, scheduling, photo opportunities, media interviews, coordination with Support Office media teams, video production and messaging, etc.
- Ensure the delivery of social media content on Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook.
Representation, Coordination & Engagement
- Active collaboration across WV Iraq departments and Area offices to ensure effectively and quality strategy and program implementation.
- Close collaboration with Regional and Partnership Communications and Advocacy counterparts to ensure WV Iraq is adequately aligned with partnership requirements.
- Engagement with SOs to facilitate communication and advocacy materials to help continue prepositioning WV Iraq with donors and other key external stakeholders.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships/partnerships with key UN, INGO, and LNGO partners, donors, peer agencies, and other key stakeholders to scale advocacy and programs for children affected by the humanitarian crisis in Iraq.
- Map out and participate in advocacy working groups and coalitions and initiatives.
Perform other duties as required
- In collaboration with the Response Director and other SLT members, ensure that World Vision’s comms work is implemented at high quality level.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Line Manager
- Master’s degree in Humanitarian Aid, International Development, Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, Social Sciences, or related field.
- Certification in Microsoft Office and other Communication software.
- 7+ years of proven experience with International NGOs in emergency relief, transition, and long-term development programming especially in fragile and non-fragile contexts.
- Professional degree preferred in any international relations and Education.
- Proven track record in a field related to humanitarian, development, advocacy and campaigns leadership, and social work in LMIC and MIC.
- Experienced in external engagement/lobbying with high-level stakeholders e.g. SRSG, RC/HC, Ministerial, Ambassadorial, UN- counterparts, institutional donors, local and national authorities, and other decision-makers relevant to the humanitarian industry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and relational skills, especially in a cross-cultural environment, and ability to analyze and solve problems, persuade, network and negotiate.
- Proven track record of leading multi-cultural teams in complex, culturally, and politically sensitive contexts.
- Understanding of humanitarian relief, recovery, and development work i.e. triple nexus in fragile contexts.
- Excellent networking, relationship building, and people management skills.
- Excellent spokesperson skills.
- Solid research, reporting, policy analysis, and writing skills, and Computer literacy.
- Strong journalistic skills, and ability to facilitate the collection of photos, videos, stories, and social media resources.
- Ability to work in difficult, insecure, and stressful conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, manage to plan, and meet deadlines.
- Prior experience with World Vision is a distinct advantage.
- Arabic/Kurdish is preferred
- English written and spoken fluency required Arabic and/or Kurdish preferred.
Travel and/or Work Environment Requirement:
- 30 % travel required within the country and international travel if needed.
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local and International applicants are accepted
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
No information inquiries will be handled over the phone. Only short-listed candidates will be notified of the interview. The deadline for application is 25 September 2022.
As a Child focused organization, World Vision is committed to the protection of children and does not employ staff whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks