The GIZ Private Sector Development Project supports the Government of Iraq to develop its private sector with the objective to create more job opportunities for young people. GIZ is a fully German Government owned organisation active in 130 countries with over 18.000 employees. More information about GIZ are accessible via www.giz.de.
The duty station for the “Advisor - Business Environment” is the GIZ Baghdad Office.
The GIZ “Private Sector Development” Project is looking for an advisor who is acquainted with challenges faced by private businesses in Iraq. The ideal candidate holds a degree in Economics, Business, Politics and has collected education experiences abroad. We are a motivated, dynamic, and idealistic team which welcomes personalities with similar qualities.
You support the Head of Project to assess the business environment and Iraq and to develop recommendations for improvement. Business associations and think tanks will be supported in their research and advocacy efforts. Ideally, you bring ideas and knowledge from abroad into the project planning process. You assist in the build-up of processes for investment tracking and liaison with international and national companies as well as with international development organizations and banks.
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
1. Implementation The position holder supports the implementation of the project’s operational plan in coordination with the project director. This may include the full responsibility for certain activities according to the standard project cycle. A special focus will be on process development and reform.
Furthermore, the position is responsible for results assessment according to GIZ standard M&E schemes with the preparation of reports and public relation material.
2. Business Environment Improvement International investment policies and their impacts will be researched and capacities for key decision makers strengthened accordingly
The position holder provides local and international, practical, and academic knowledge to the project planning process.
3. Strategic Networking and Stakeholder management The position holder serves as activity coordinator to political partners, national organisations, and beneficiaries. This includes the creation of a strong network, continuous needs assessments, enabling project activities, communicating approaches. Furthermore, the representation of the project and its activities in coordination with the project director, built-up and care for relationships (stakeholder mapping), identification of potential future cooperation partners. The position holder will support the government relation matters of the project.
4. Other duties/additional tasks The position holder will support the project with any additional task if necessary.
C. Required qualifications, competencies and experience
• Master degree in Economics, Political Economics, Business Administration, Finance, or other relevant fields.
• 3-5 years of experience in a relevant position.
• Study or work experiences abroad.
• Background in consultancy is an advantage
• Diplomatic and socials skills are expected.
• Work experience in international development cooperation organizations is an advantage.
• Above average academic Arabic and fluent English language proficiencies are mandatory (written and spoken).
Other knowledge, additional competencies
• Office Software literacy
• German language skills are an advantage
• Experienced networker
• Ability to travel in Iraq and abroad for limited periods of time