The Baghdad Business School is a non-profit higher education organization dedicated to preparing Iraqi youth to build successful careers, start their own businesses, as well as contribute to an open and inclusive society and prosperous economy. BBS offers the one-year certificate-granting program called Business Foundations, which includes instruction in English language, business, and soft and professional skills. Business Foundations is an innovative, high-quality education and employment program that uses progressive teaching methods that are student-centered and discussion-based. BBS enrolled its first cohort in October 2020, and since then, it has graduated two cohorts of Iraqi youth who have gone on to build their own businesses or find entry-level jobs with Iraqi and international companies operating in Iraq.
The Admissions and Student Services Officer develops and institutionalizes existing activities to recruit and enroll a large applicant pool and to retain those students during their academic program. The Admissions and Student Services Officer works with other colleagues to prepare students and alumni to find meaningful employment after graduation. The Admissions and Student Services Officer reports to the Business Foundations Program Manager and is part of the BBS leadership team responsible for shaping the organization. The Admissions and Student Services Officer promotes BBS to external contacts and Iraqi youth, recruits students across a variety of platforms, and leads the admission process, especially to strengthen the enrollment of women students and underserved groups. The Admissions and Student Services Officer also interacts regularly with enrolled students, counseling students individually and in groups on academic and personal challenges. The Admissions and Student Services Officer designs activities to support student success, academically and personally, to enable students to complete the program.
The Admissions and Student Services Officer develops both a Student Recruitment Plan and a Student Retention Plan, each developed with feedback from BBS staff and faculty, private sector partners, higher education contacts, BBS alumni, and current students.
To implement the Student Recruitment Plan, the Admissions and Student Services Officer works collaboratively across a broad range of contacts. Public speaking in Arabic and English in a variety of environments is required. Recruitment includes in person activities at universities, youth centers, public venues, and business locations, as well as through online activities and social media. The Admissions and Student Services Officer organizes recruitment activities, incorporating other BBS faculty and staff, students, and alumni into the events. The Admissions and Student Services Officer manages the admissions process and scholarship award program.
To implement the Student Retention Plan, the Admissions and Student Services Officer works closely with other BBS staff and faculty to provide a range of services to support enrolled students so they can complete the program, with particular focus on women students. This includes individual, small group, and large group counseling or workshops. The Admissions and Student Services Officer designs and delivers group presentations to give students the knowledge and tools to help them overcome obstacles. The Admissions and Student Services Officer works with individuals and small groups to help students deal with academic, family, financial, or health issues that threaten to disrupt their completion of the program. The Admissions and Student Services Officer manages programs targeted specifically for women students, such as travel stipends and a women’s support group.
The Admissions and Student Services Officer creates materials and presentations for internal and external audiences for a variety of purposes, both to be used in hard copy and online.
The Admissions and Student Services Officer builds relationships with higher education, SMEs, business, youth spaces, and NGO communities to create opportunities for recruitment.
BBS has a strong commitment to providing women students and graduates with opportunities to succeed. All Student Recruitment and Student Retention Activities should be seen designed, implemented, and evaluated through a gender-focused lens.
This is a full-time position located in Baghdad, Iraq. The Admissions and Student Services Officer works Sunday to Thursday during regular business hours. However, some evenings and weekend work will be required. While the Admissions and Student Services Officer has primary responsibility for Student Recruitment and Student Retention Activities, the successful candidate should also be a Team Player and support other sections and colleagues as needed. BBS is a young and growing educational institution, requiring that all staff and faculty show flexibility and professionalism in supporting the organization and helping students achieve their goals.
BBS staff work at the BBS office and telework from home as conditions require. Travel within Baghdad will be required. Some travel outside of Baghdad may be required and will be coordinated with the supervisor.
- Plan, design, implement, and evaluate all Student Recruitment and Retention Activities with a focus on supporting the success of women students.
- Collaborate with the Gender Advisor, Career Development Coordinator, and other relevant staff/faculty to ensure all activities are seen through a gender-focused lens.
- Develop work plans, strategies, and timelines for Student Recruitment Activities in conjunction with other BBS staff and faculty, with a specific focus on recruiting women students.
- Implement a broad range of Student Recruitment Activities to expand efforts and recruit a diverse pool of applicants.
- Develop partnerships with universities, youth spaces, and other external partners to identify new audiences for in person and virtual Student Recruitment Activities.
- Organize and lead Student Recruitment Activities with these audiences using a wide range of techniques, such as in-person, traditional media, social media, and online activities.
- Design presentations and create materials for in person and online Student Recruitment Activities.
- Design and give presentations to groups of students, higher education officials, and business contacts.
- Engage in public speaking opportunities with a wide range of audiences, in both Arabic and English.
- Manage the student admissions process, including oversight of the Admissions Committee; review of the online written application; English language assessment; virtual interview process; and final selection by the Committee.
- Manage the Student Scholarship Program, collaborating with key staff and BBS leadership to design the selection criteria and award scholarships for each academic year.
- Develop work plans, strategies, and timelines for Student Retention Activities in conjunction with other BBS staff and faculty, with a specific focus on supporting women students.
- Design presentations, create materials, and deliver workshops to support students, with a special focus on topics affecting women students.
- Meet regularly with students, in groups and individually, to assist students in overcoming obstacles to their participation and success.
- Collaborate with the Gender Advisor and the Career Development Coordinator and hold group meetings for women students and graduates to address obstacles to their academic and job success.
- Manage travel stipends for women students and other activities that enable women to complete the BBS program.
- Identify and develop new activities to enhance and strengthen Student Recruitment and Retention Activities, soliciting feedback from students, staff, faculty, and external contacts.
Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 2+ years of professional work experience in academia, counseling, youth recruitment, or youth employment.
- Experience designing training presentations, creating materials, and delivering instruction to groups and individuals.
- Experience organizing events, speakers, and activities with internal and external contacts.
- Experience working with young adults or students, individually or in groups, preferably in a higher education or professional setting.
- Knowledge of the Iraqi higher education system and youth employment environment.
- Knowledge of strategies and best practices for youth counseling - personal, academic, and job related.
- Knowledge of the private sector in Iraq, with a focus on local and international organizations in Baghdad.
- Knowledge of Google Office and MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) software programs.
- Strong online research skills.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong commitment to the BBS mission and ability to deliver effective programming that helps BBS graduates build skills and find jobs in the private sector.
- Excellent English language skills in reading/writing and listening/speaking. Fluency in Arabic language.
- Ability to speak publicly in front of large groups.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues to a wide range of audiences.
- Able to interact with a broad spectrum of stakeholders including private sector business professionals, students, staff and faculty, alumni, and higher education officials.
- Demonstrated team player, committed to working collaboratively with colleagues, students, and external contacts.
- Strong time management skills; organized and able to manage multiple projects; able to prioritize overlapping tasks.
How to Apply
To apply, send your Cover Letter (no longer than one page) and CV, both in English, explaining your interest and relevant background to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write in the email subject line the following: “BBS – Admissions and Student Services Officer”
All complete applications must be received by 11:59 PM on December 11, 2022, to be considered.
Note: We will only respond to the candidates who successfully reach the interview stage.
Equal Opportunity and Diversity
Baghdad Business School provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, and marital status. We also strive to achieve equal employment opportunities in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. Baghdad Business School is committed to fostering a diverse workforce and encourages men and women to apply.