As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has been working in Iraq since 2014 and has maintained a country office in Baghdad since 2018. On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Federal Foreign Office (AA) and the European Union (EU), GIZ is working on the three priority areas in Iraq. GIZ offers support in Iraq to help refugees, internally displaced people and host communities improve their living conditions. Here, the aim is to promote social cohesion, create income opportunities and revitalise the local economy. In addition, GIZ has adopted a holistic approach to help improve the country’s economic policy framework. It also promotes the employment and economic prospects for young Iraqis. These measures are being implemented in the autonomous region of Kurdistan and in central Iraq. To ensure that Iraqis have better access to public services in future, GIZ is also supporting the decentralisation of the Iraqi administration. The aim is to improve organisational structures and work processes at various administrative levels.
The Administration officer is responsible for:
- Providing Administrative services for the SYPortfolio in general and for it’s Erbil office in specific.
- Supporting the Portfolio projects’ operations in close coordination and cooperation with the other administrative staff in the team.
- Being a member of the Admins and Finance pool team that supports all projects operating in NES.
- Ensuring an effective communication flow, among the projects and the admin team.
- Ensuring that financial and administrative regulations are complied with.
- Ensuring that the SYP office he/she is responsible for is fully equipped with the necessary IT equipment and supplies necessary for the staff upon request.
1. Logistics Management Tasks
- The Administration officer arranges trainings, events, meetings, delegation tours and travels logistically. This includes e.g. booking of venues, transportation tickets, translators and equipment, invitation of participants etc.
- Oversee the proper maintenance of the office facilities, maintenance log and general upkeeping.
- The position holder ensures the timely availability of all office equipment and their quality according to GIZ standards.
- Coordinates the staff transportation – if needed – using the CO cars and external service providers when necessary, and in close communication with the fleet management teams.
2. Coordination Tasks
- The Administrative Officer ensures that information is exchanged between projects/portfolio staff, and other units in relevant giz country offices. ▪ The position holder also prepares and organizes internal meetings, and coordinates between the different duty stations if necessary.
- The Administrative officer communicates closely with the relevant units in Iraq country office for the various administrative matters and to follow up on the ongoing processes.
- The position holder coordinates and communicates closely with the Admins and Finance pool in the Portfolio for the matters related to travel settlements, inventory, and budget planning. etc.
3. Contracting and Procurement Tasks
- The Administration officer procures items for the portfolio according to GIZ rules and regulations.
- The Administration Officer prepares contracts and procurement requests and ensures the availability of all necessary documents according to GIZ quality procedures.
- Contracting also includes the processing, follow-up, tracking, and filing of contracting documents on DMS.
- The administration officer also ensures that the quality of the contracting documents is maintained as per giz rules and regulations.
- The position holder implements the tendering processes whenever necessary in close coordination with the relevant units in Iraq country office and as per giz rules and regulations
- Assuring quality control for all purchases being implemented in Portfolio level.
4. Finance, Accounting and Control tasks
- The Administration Officer will be responsible of the Cash for the projects operating in Erbil Iraq.
- S/he shall apply GIZ rules and regulations in managing Cash and assuring quality control.
- The Administration Officer will be responsible for entering cash entries to WINPACCS.
- Will assist the Senior Finance Manager in managing Portfolio level’ cost centers, assisting in necessary re-bookings preparations, assuring that necessary documents are timely prepared and communicated to HQ and/or CO.
- The Administration Officer will assist project’s Finance Managers during Internal Control visits from CO and/or HQ.
5. Other General Administration Tasks
- Supports the Portfolio in coordination with GIZ HR department in HR matters such as interviews and leaves, informs about new and existing administration rules, creates, and upholds internal portfolio administration procedures.
- The position holder will support the portfolio with translation duties and any additional tasks of non-technical nature if deemed necessary.
- Any other tasks assigned by the direct superior and/or Head of Portfolio.
Where appropriate and reasonable, the position holder shall be willing to perform tasks outside the scope of the job description
Required qualifications, competencies and experience Qualifications
- Education: University degree, preferably in Business Administration or a relevant field.
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years of relevant occupational experience (mainly Administrative and Procurement experiences).
- Experience with non-for-profit organizations: Minimum of 4 years working in the Development sector with National or International organizations.
- Being acquainted with administrative procedures in government and administrative offices is an advantage.
- Fluent English, Arabic and Kurdish languages proficiencies are mandatory (written and spoken), German language is a strong asset.
Other Knowledge, additional competencies:
- MS Office Software literact
- WINPACCS, SAP experience is an asset.
- Team player, proactive and responsible personality, innovative and flexible.
- Responsibility: Independent execution of tasks according to existing planning and consultation with supervisor and colleagues.
- Strong communication and organizational skills are required.
- Tasks require constructive creative thinking, sometimes also conceptual initiative.
- Ability to travel abroad for limited periods
Important notes for your application
The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (EBL SP023-006) Administrative Specialist Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
The use of GIZ templates is mandatory, all applications that do not use the template will not be evaluated.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.
GIZ templates for applications