Job Title: Admin and Finance Officer
Reports to: Head of Project
Duty Station: Baghdad
The GIZ-project “Promoting Dialogue and Participation in Iraq (PDP)” is looking for a Junior Admin Officer with strong organizational skills, good communication skills and the ability to be a team-player. The duty station of the position will be the GIZ Baghdad Office. GIZ is a German government organization in the field of development cooperation which is active in more than 120 countries with over 22.000 employees. More information about GIZ can be found via www.giz.de.
Promoting and fostering national, regional and local dialogue among all Iraqi parties and groups with the aim of establishing a pathway forward for the country is a goal set out by the Iraqi government. GIZ aims to support those processes through the PDP-project. Aside from establishing platforms for dialogue between government officials, civil society, the private sector and other relevant stakeholders, the project also aims to enhance the Iraqi capacities for evidence-based dialogue through the strengthening of Iraqi think tanks, research institutes and local NGOs. The candidate will deliver support in the implementation of the project’s activities, help to maintain excellent relations with relevant Iraqi stakeholders and help to analyze and identify potential partners in implementation. The position requires excellent communication and diplomatic skills, great knowledge of the political environment in Iraq and the ability to think strategically.
The Finance & Admin Officer is responsible for
- supporting all finance and administration services of the project in Iraq in coordination with the existing project structures
- meeting the administrative needs of the office independently, with a minimum of intervention
- supports the project’s operation in close coordination and cooperation with the other members of the project
- ensuring that financial and administrative regulations are complied with. Respect the code of conduct and confidentialities.
- ensuring an effective communication and information flow within the project
The Finance & admin officer performs the following tasks:
- Works closely with GIZ Country office and other duty stations to fulfill the needs of services effectively
- Effectively prioritize tasks and ensures that information is exchanged between the Country office, project staff, partners, and other institutions
- Coordinate with implementing partners and communicate on their needs and requirements.
- Attend weekly team members meetings regularly and prepares and organises internal meetings.
- Acquire good communication and information flow within the project.
- Work closely with the Governance cluster admin and finance manager and other management staff on organising administrative and logistical aspects of project activities (meetings, workshops etc.).
- Supports in the monitoring of the project’s activities, will support in writing documents and reports in regard to monitoring guidelines
- Will assist short-term experts assigned to the project in completing their tasks
- Supports in arranging events, meetings and travels logistically. This includes the booking of venues, transportation tickets, translators and equipment, invitation of partners etc.
- Coordinates the staff transportation using the project cars and external service providers in close communication with the fleet management teams
- organises and files documents in reference files or in DMS in line with GIZ’s filing rules
- coordinates logistical issues for the project staff and visitors
- Ensure the management of assets and inventory record keeping with the applicable software.
- supports in the procurement of IT-equipment according to GIZ rules and regulations.
- prepares and organizes internal and external meetings and supports with logistical aspects of project activities (meetings, workshops etc.) as well as with documentation (e.g. minutes of meetings)
- Ensure GIZ HR policies and requirements effectively.
- Adhere to GIZ Standard Operations manual (SOP) related to administration.
- Liaises with Risk Management Office on staff related field trips & missions
3. Finance and Accounting
- Working closely with the Head of Finance of the Governance Cluster
- Ensure GIZ financial management procedures are adhered
- Ensure accurate recording of financial transactions in accordance to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and GIZ rules and process on accounting practice.
- Takes the responsibility of cash and bank accounts records on daily bases with the available GIZ accounting software.
- Ensures cash, bank and advance reconcile on daily bases.
- Carries out invoices which are counter-checked and ensures that supporting documents are complete.
- Ensures that GIZ validation stamp is completely signed by responsible authorized members of GIZ office.
- Carries out the weekly cash count on as per the cash management instructions.
- Carries out the weekly and monthly exports and submission of vouchers to the responsible accounting officer in GIZ Country Office.
- Ensure regular follow up on open accounts and settlements accordingly.
- Coordinate in preparations of monthly C files for SDG and USD journals of GIZ office and provide scanned documents from C files to GIZ-CO when necessary.
- Support in providing all the necessary financial documents during internal audit.
- Takes over other finance tasks assigned by his line manager.
- helps prepare the project’s budget planning and monitors expenses in accordance with the budget
- will be involved in the drawing up of the annual internal controlling schedule and reports
- monitors the financial implementation contracts with international and national partners
- supports monitoring the monthly accounting and financial plans
- processes settlements of applications for the reimbursement of travel expenses
4. Other duties/additional tasks
- reports without delay to the person responsible for accounting on all problems in financial administration and compliance with rules
- is responsible for filing financial administration documents and treating information confidentially
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree in accounting or business administration, social science or any other relevant degree
- Experience: Minimum of 2-5 years of relevant occupational experience in accounting skills, journal entries, cash, bank, asset managements and administrative skills are required.
- Work experience with an international company or other development organization is an advantage
Other knowledge, additional competences
- good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, email, internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- fluency in Arabic is necessary. Very good English skills are necessary.
- good management and organisational skills
- willingness to upskill
Requirements for application:
- The reference number and position must be mentioned in the subject line of the email, Ref: (BGH-PDP21-133) Admin and Finance Officer
- Subject line of the application should clearly indicate the vacancy applied for.
- CVs and motivations letters that are in the form of IMG, pictures, screen-shots and links will not be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Applications passed the expiration date of the advertisement will not be considered.