MSELECT is looking to hire a Geophysicist for an international oil and gas company in Basra. Candidates must have a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience and fluency in English is a must.
- G&G Section Head, Subsurface Manager
To develop, implement and monitor geophysical data acquisition programs on oilfields within Block 9 and conduct all necessary tests and onsite studies of the physical properties of oilfield parameters to support well operations and reservoir visualization, appraisal and development decisions. Supervises the seismic data processing and final delivery of processed data.
Data Acquisition Programs
- Design and implement an adequate data acquisition programs on oilfields within Block 9 to ensure capturing and continuous monitoring of all relevant data (such as gravity, magnetic, electrical, and seismic) affecting the reservoirs and oil fields appraisals and decisions in Block 9.
- Assists the department’s management in the development of a field survey strategy and in the planning and development of geophysical survey programs involving on-going seismic, gravity and aeromagnetic data acquisition. Develops detailed contracts strategies, working in conjunction with the legal and procurement departments. Includes identifying promising survey areas in an explored field preparing justifications for individual survey programs using various risk assessment and benefit analysis techniques to support proposals and obtain management approval.
- Supervises and participates in all geophysical surveys conducted by external consultants. Establishes plans of action, determines processes to be used and quality control requirements; briefs third party Quality Control Contractor on the Company’s requirements and participates in briefings of the survey contractor.
Data Processing & Interpretation
- Merge the new 2D or 3D seismic data received from contractors in order to analyse and interpret the data to identify prospects.
- Perform test processing for appropriation of processing parameters and sequence. Check and approve the final products and reports prepared by contractors. Prepare seismic survey operational reports for approval and distribution to Management.
- Re-interprets existing seismic data as necessary, interprets new seismic data; produces time and time-depth converted sections and maps to be integrated with subsurface and production data to determine both the structure, it effects on current and future production operations. Evaluates processing sequence of existing data and recommends re-processing where necessary.
- Perform seismic attribute analyses, velocity analyses and synthetic seismogram analysis, and constructs geo-cellular models, and verify integrated static model.
- Perform volumetric reserves evaluation. Collect latest information on new technologies and methods and recommend application of such technologies/methods to G&G characterization and modelling activities.
- Develop a portfolio of prospects as potential locations for defining the strengths and weaknesses and risks involved in potential drilling locations per well in order to select a shortlist of prospects to a commitment to drill.
Structure Maps & 3D Seismic
- Prepare structure maps for company horizons and the depth conversion to enable calculation of oil and gas volumes while assessing the risk of proven, probable and possible volumes of oil and gas in place.
- Conduct more detailed and expensive 3D seismic on the above territories/discoveries and repeat the above process to more accurately assess the potential of the territory with in Block 9.
- Define the locations of wells to address the issues of volumes of hydrocarbons to be recovered.
Health, Security, Safety and Environment
- Demonstrate safety leadership and strongly advocate Health Safety and Environment (HSE) policies and guidelines. Ensure clear description and communication of subsurface risks during drilling of new wells.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant HSSE management policies, procedures and controls within own area, monitoring, reviewing and evaluating on a continuous basis, and a responsible environmental attitude.
- Leading by example and develop a strong safety-first culture within the own and (sub)contractor workforce
People & Contractor Management
- Manage the activities and work performed by Contractors such as (studies and core analysis) and ensure that it is carried out in an efficient and effective manner. Build good relationships with company stakeholders.
- Recommend training and development for team members to build their capabilities.
- Contribute to knowledge dissemination/sharing in a way that assists with building internal capabilities of employees.
- Develop overview of contractor’s strength and weaknesses and intervene as and when required exercising contractual rights.
- Contribute to Block 9 CSR strategy execution
Policies, Systems, Processes and Procedures
- Ensure compliance with corporate requirements on adherence to policies, procedures and instructions within own area related to all relevant regulatory directives to promote a safe and risk-free environment.
- Improvement of systems, processes and practices.
- Contribute to the preparation of timely and accurate reports to meet Block 9 requirements, policies and standards.
COMMUNICATIONS & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Drilling, Surface Facilities & HSE
- Technical team
- Vendors & contractors
- BOC & Partner
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
- The jobholder exercises financial and operational authority as per the level established by COMPANY management and stipulated in the authority matrix.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geophysics or equivalent
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in the Oil & Gas industry, preferably in Geophysical Studies and data acquisition.
- Well data evaluation
- Knowledge of oilfield exploration practices and technologies
- Data interpretation
- Communication skills
- Project management skills
- Analytical skills
- Ability to make timely decisions
- Problem solving skills
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process