MSELECT is looking to hire a Contract Section Head for an international oil and gas operator in Basrah. Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years' experience in the management of tendering policies & procedures, contract and bidder administration and fluency in English is a must.
Basic Function and Scope
Supervises the preparation and execution of tender documents and contracts to cover the provision of services and/or the purchase of materials in accordance with contract holder requirements, Company policy and the protection of companies legal and commercial interests. Includes explaining contract requirements to prospective bidders and administering on-going tendering process and ITB documents. Provides a support service to contract holders requiring interpretation of contracts during the course of administration or at contract 'close out. Develops and maintains tendering policy & procedure and contracts procedures which support and enhance the procurement of services and/or material in a commercially sound and efficient manner.
Tasks and Duties
- Supervises the activities of assigned personnel in the Contracts Section. Performs supervisory functions at the level established by management for the position.
- Receives technical specifications for contracts, reviews, discusses and amends 'scope of work' in conjunction with the contract holder. Discusses and finalizes the commercial, legal, financial and insurance aspects of contracts in conjunction with the Legal Department and/or legal adviser prior to preparing “Invitation to Bid”.
- Develops and maintains an 'Approved Contractors List' consistent with the concepts of quality and the views of individual departments/Management. Develops a 'List of Bidders' qualified to perform the work after implementation of prequalification procedures.
- Prepares and issues “Invitation to Bid” to contractors or suppliers on the approved vendors list, answers any inquiries from them to clarify Company requirements and specific contract conditions. Works with contract holders in meeting bidders to provide further clarification of the Company's position and needs as required.
- Invites authorized personnel to attend the opening of bids. Includes representatives of Accounting, Legal and contract holder and/or BOC, and ensures that all bids are opened in accordance with procedural requirements.
- Develops an evaluation schedule with the contract initiators ensuring (where applicable) that a technical evaluation will be made in conjunction with the commercial evaluation. Reviews all evaluation reports from interested departments, and calls Bid Committee meetings for the awarding of contract. Attends meetings, presents comments on the commercial aspects of bids received, takes notes of comments made by others attending meeting and obtains signatures of all participants prior to or after closure of meeting. Follows up on arrangements to notify successful bidder and send regrets to unsuccessful bidders. When authorized by Management, and in conjunction with contract holders, will negotiate with bidders prior to contract award.
- Follows up with the Legal Department on the completion of contract activities, such as contract preparation, inclusion of general and specific conditions and extraction of performance bonds. Arranges for the contract signing with Company management and the successful bidder. Keeps detailed records of all current contracts including copies of contracts.
- Monitors the execution of contracts which includes ensuring that contract renewal reminders are sent to and discussed with contract holders, preparing amendments such as cancellations, extensions, variations and claims. Provides support to contracts administration activities for matters requiring contract interpretation or related to 'contract close out'.
- Develops and prepares amendments to existing tendering and contracts procedures in conjunction with Legal, discussing with administration departments in individual divisions, informing interested parties of changes. Ensures the ongoing Implementation of procedures, reviews Company contract documents to ensure relevancy of provisions and prepares amendments or additions to general or specific conditions. Prepares standard contracts to cover regular services such as transport, air travel and catering. Maintains contractor performance records.
- Supervises or carries out other similar or related duties such as preparing a variety of reports and statistics on contracts activities for submission to CPL Manager and/or higher management as required for inclusion in management reports.
- Frequent contacts internally at all levels within the Company to obtain information on contract requirements, open and award bids and follow up on contracts administration.
Independence of Operation
- Works independently on the day to day administration of contracts requirements which includes setting priorities within user requirements. Works in accordance with strict commercial practices and Company policies governing contracts.
- Supervises: All Contract Specialists
- Degree in Commerce or Business Administration.
- 10 years' experience in management of tendering policies & procedures, contract and bidder administration within international oil/gas company or petrochemical industry, of which at least 5 years must have been in a supervisory capacity. Experience of the legal/contracts requirements and terminologies (for example, legal language). Some experience of working in a multi-cultural work environment.
- Fluency in English.
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process