MSELECT is looking to hire a Senior Drilling Rig Supervisor for an international oil and gas operator in Kurdistan. Candidates must have 10 plus years of Drilling, Completion, Workover & Well Test experience and be fluent in English.
Rig Locations in Kurdistan on a 28/28 Rotation. As needed in the Erbil and Sulaymaniyah office. Some travel to other locations.
Start up in-country drilling planning operations.
The position actively manages the rig location and requires extensive time spent walking the rig, standing next to the driller during specific operations, and reviewing the equipment status and condition for upcoming rig activities. If the candidate prefers to spend most of their time sitting in the company man’s office then do not apply for this position.
- Assist the in-country drilling personnel with managing the existing inactive wells.
- Visit in-country the drilling rig contractors and service companies to assess their capability and equipment condition during the tendering activities.
- Provide third party engineering QA\QC for well engineering planning conducted in the London and Ankara offices.
- Daily monitor and review the JV partner drilling activities (DDRs, etc) and ensure their best practices and learnings are captured and implemented into company drilling planning and operations.
- Work with the Head of Drilling to develop a world class performance drilling team with goals for annual performance improvement.
- Assist Subsurface, HSE, Civil works, and other Departments with startup activities.
- Manage day to day drilling, workover, well test, and completion operations.
- Fill in for Senior Drilling Superintendent as requested.
- Show strong HSE leadership during the well engineering planning and execution phases.
- Follow up of the performance of the well with respect to established KPIs and develop recommendations for operational improvement.
- Monitor service company performances and review reports of non-conformance events.
- Review technical scope of works for contracting drilling and workover engineering planning. Participate in technical and commercial evaluations.
- Support and organize peer assists, technical reviews, DWOPs, CWOPS, TWOP, Spud meetings, BARs, AARs, etc.
- Ensures all work within the area of responsibility is adequately documented and lessons learned are captured for the benefit of future operations worldwide.
- Ensure well material and service providers comply with specified quality assurance requirements.
- Ensures all drilling and completion activities comply with company standards and appropriate industry best practices and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure drilling meets subsurface well objectives and requirements.
- Build effective relationships and interact professionally with internal / external stakeholders and service companies.
- Provide inputs during the drilling, completion, and well test job execution and perform or supervise the engineers conducting the post job analysis as needed.
- Plans for future wells and ensure required materials and services are available in country and allocated as required.
- Management of Change: ensure stakeholders clearly understand the proposed change and that the advice given is relevant and accurate.
- Manage the company Drilling folders and files and development of a drilling learnings database.
- Ensure daily drilling activity codes are accurate.
- Utilize the pore pressure data base and pore pressure monitoring capability.
- Provide daily support to the Head of Drilling and Drilling Manager(s) including updating plots, developing and maintaining daily electronic records and notebooks, other activities as needed.
- Assist with the development of new company drilling and completion policies and procedures, guidelines, and regulations. Monitor compliance. Ensure MOC process complied with and monitor well delivery process for exploration and development wells including QA/QC, document control, drilling software requirements and tools, etc. Work close with all assets and departments to ensure commonality and continuous improvement process is in place.
- Review and implement existing QA/Q\C drilling and completion policies and procedures.
- Assist the development of quarterly completion statistics and drilling operations review for senior management performance review meetings and QPRs with service companies.
- Assist with special projects and studies, internal investigations, peer reviews, audits, insurance claims, NPT and invoice issues, etc.
- Work close with HSE department to ensure all HSE requirements are in compliance.
- Work with security personnel.
- Work with accounts payable system (EAM, Proactis or similar system) and associated personnel to ensure system used correctly with invoices paid in a timely fashion.
- Review invoices for accuracy, credit adjustments for NPT, etc.
- Utilize the tangibles inventory list and coordinate with appropriate departments involved with tangible assets.
- Provide 24 hours per day / 7 days per week oversight with drilling and completion operations.
- Other responsibilities as assigned. Note the responsibilities and objectives are subject to changes and modifications at any time.
- Attend internal or external company, regulatory, or partner meetings as required.
- Review drilling and completion techniques in the geographic area and make improvements.
- All other duties as assigned.
- B.S. Engineering Degree preferred but not required.
- Significant industry training courses.
- Location and Timing
- Rotation to drilling rigs in Erbil and / or Sulaymaniyah (30-day hitches including 2 travel days). Some travel to Ankara Turkey, vendors in Kurdistan Iraq, rig locations, and other locations as required.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Work Experience
- Engineering degree preferred but not required.
- Fluent in English.
- Must have very good writing skills.
- IWCF or IADC Well Control. Drilling, Completion, Workover, Snubbing, etc preferred.
- Ten plus years of Drilling, Completion, Workover & Well Test experience.
- At least 5 years as a drilling rig supervisor.
- At least 5 years as a driller, roughneck, etc.
- Significant land rig drilling experience would be a plus.
- Experience with high levels of H2S and CO2 would be a plus.
- Significant experience with well testing and flaring sour gas a plus.
- Major Operator experience as staff or consultant a plus.
- Good leadership, writing, and communication skills both verbal and written.
- Pragmatic proactive self-starter who can work independently and in a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Drilling, completion, and well test experience in KRI and or the Middle East would be a plus.
- Desire to maintain a drilling and completion performance database to optimize drilling capability would be a plus.
- Sensitivity working with different cultures and diverse backgrounds.
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process.