MSELECT is hiring a Legal Counsel for an international oil and gas operator in Basrah. Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience and be fluent in English and Arabic.
- To ensure the legality of the business of the company
- To protect the legitimate rights and interests of the company against any encroachment
- Provide legal support and advice to upper management on relevant legal issues
- Ensure compliance with the applicable laws, statutory regulations and other internal control formalities
- Calculate and handle risks in business process and decision making
- Draft legal documents such as contracts, statements, agreements
- Coordinate with HR, Senior Executive Team and outside counsel pertinent to enforce company’s procedures and policies
- Handle litigation
- Keeping up with current changes on all relevant areas of laws
- Contributing to the enhancement of the knowledge base of the company’s legal function
Health, Security, Safety and Environment
Ensure compliance with all relevant health, security, safety and environmental management policies, procedures and controls within own area, monitoring, reviewing and evaluating on a continuous basis, to guarantee employee safety, legislative compliance, delivery of high-quality service and a responsible environmental attitude.
Reports to Senior Legal Counsel / Deputy Legal Manager
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Must have a law degree from a recognized university
- Must be admitted to a recognized bar
Must have 5+ years of experience gained in large law firm and/or in-house with major firm.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization
- Strong negotiating skills with both legal and financial/commercial issues
- Good at both English and Arabic and the English-Arabic legal writing
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process.