MSELECT is looking to hire a Drilling Operation Section Head for an international oil and gas operator in Basrah. Candidates must have a minimum 15 years of experience in oil and gas well drilling, preferably with experience in HPHT operation and be fluent in English.
The Drilling Operation Section Head (DOSH) reports directly to the drilling manager. The DOSH manages and supervises the Drilling superintendents as well as a team of HSSE Field Co-Ordinator’s and their Officer assigned to drilling department. The DOSH oversees and assists in all aspects of the drilling field/office activity with support from a multi-discipline team of drilling and HSE personnel and directly involved with the management of the drilling contractors and services. The DOSH is the main focal point for all drilling pad and road construction communication between all the departments for project interface. The DOSH ensures that the fields are run in a safe, efficient, cost effective and environment friendly manner. The DOSH also assists with coordinating and availing internal & external support services working closely with logistics and warehousing. DOSH and DESH will issue all Call Off orders for the drilling teams’ contractors, call off orders will be created by the Engineering team.
- Provides operational expertise and shares with the Drilling Manager and Drilling Engineering Manager to establish best performance goals as well as to implement the best available technology for drilling operations with an eye on cost reduction and time cycles.
- Company point of contact for all drilling well control concerns or challenges, while supporting field teams in execution on any issues.
- Review and assist with operational needs when new drilling and field contracts are set up.
- Assists with operational advice while reviewing all drilling programs with Drilling engineering teams.
- Review and provide operational assistance in MOC process
- Aid teams with all long lead items and related equipment/spares towards drilling and field needs.
- Attend meetings with upper management for all Drilling and HSE field related issues or concerns, as well as coordinate Project Interface meetings with all the departments to make sure schedules all align.
- Bridge the gaps between the field and office communication when dealing with contractors and upper management.
- Work closely with construction when new locations\road ways are to be designed and executed while providing history and integrated design solutions.
- Communicate with sub surface teams when planning for new location builds concentrating on road ways, flow lines, seismic lines and all surface matters.
- Provide experience to the BU with all aspects of working in a remote desert location while ensuring alignment with company Standards, integration of learnings and using best practice.
- Manages and motivates drilling, well services and HSE teams for smooth work flow
- Provide role modeling for a strong team with the ability to lead a team with a personal commitment and proactive approach to HSSE.
- Participate in field audits concerning drilling rigs and HSE as per company standards
- Ensure that all teams in drilling comply protocol and standards on all locations in Field.
- Actively assist other divisions of the BU to streamline in HSE matters drawing on experience and utilizing field personnel.
- Manages, directs and motivates drilling/HSE teams to ensure efficient and timely execution of planned activities.
- Assists Drilling superintendents with monitoring the structured improvement of performance plans for efficiency. Also ensuring a functional integration both within the assigned team and with the rest of the organization while promoting team work.
- Attend and assist in kick off meetings for office and field.
- Work closely with contractor representatives to ensure that the company contractual obligations are met as well as communicating any and all issues or challenges faced with contractors
- Regularly visit all field sites to have updated knowledge of any concerns and or future planning.
- Assistance to teams when evaluating contractors
- Assess Rota for the Drilling & drilling Based HSE teams and make sure the project is properly resourced for the upcoming operations. (ie rig moves, end of sections, completions)
- Communicate and track all Drilling/Well services Diesel quantities.
- Make sure that all direct reports and in-direct teams are completing and submitting End of Month as well as End of Well deliverables.
- Organize contractor inhouse meetings to assess their performance as well as potential contractors to evaluate contractors’ capabilities and competence.
COMMUNICATIONS & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Mainly with HSSE, Subsurface, Project, Productions, CPL and Finance
- All relevant subcontractors and BOC field teams.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
- Key decisions having significant impact on safety, personnel, cost and procurement are referred to the Drilling Manager for approval before implementation.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in oil and gas well drilling, preferably with experience in HPHT operation.
- Be able to demonstrate extensive knowledge of Drilling Operation, safety and contractor management and a track record as a Drilling Supervisor/Wellsite Leader or Drilling Superintendent or Team Lead roles, with minimum 8 years field experience.
- Strong team player and ability in a similar leadership role.
- Experience of managing contractor contractual relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels.
- Ability to coach and mentor other staff, especially the Iraqi national subordinates.
- Aptitude to innovate and be open to new ideas, and ability to be flexible and open minded with cultural diversity and promote inclusive working environment.
- IWCF Well Control certified or equivalent.
- Drilling Manager
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process.