MSELECT is hiring an Operations Shift Charge Engineer for an international oil and gas operator in Basrah. Candidates must have a minimum of 10 years of experience in the operation of a cycle power plant and be fluent in Arabic and English.
The Shift Charge Engineer is the technical lead for his shift and reports directly to the O&M Manager. He must be familiar with the startup and shutdown of a Simple Cycle Power Plants and BOP equipment pertaining to the 150 MW, Fuel Gas fired power plant, plus support systems of the Power Plant. You must successfully complete a 1 year on the job training program at Power Plant to qualify for this position in order to remain at the Power Plant as a Shift Charge Engineer.
- Respond effectively to operational demands, assist in achieving safe and efficient generation, and conduct start up and shut down of plant; within prescribed limits to ensure the process is operated safely at all times.
- Identify operation outside of prescribed limits and ensure corrective action is taken.
- Operate flexibly and without close supervision within the constraints of competence and authorization.
- Participate in fault finding, problems solving, and first line maintenance ensuring that work is carried out to the appropriate standards.
- Suggest and promote modifications and Continuous Improvement Initiatives.
- Continually review work and processes and determine whether improvements could be made.
- Support teams including Operations, Engineering and Maintenance within the constraints of competence and authorization
- Develop and maintain operational documentation, records and procedures.
- Authorization under the company safety rules to ensure plant and apparatus is safe to be worked on.
- This role will involve out of hours working and weekend working in line with the adopted shift pattern.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Will report to the O & M Manager.
- Review all required operations documentation as directed by the O&M Manager.
- Write, review and implement and startup procedures.
- Communicate with dispatch concerning load profile.
Health & Safety
- Administers and oversees adherence to plant safety (in order to maintain and injury-free environment), Operations and Administrative Programs and Procedures;
- Understands and masters the ERP Procedures;
- Takes appropriate action when necessary to ensure compliance of safety, efficiency, environmental and administrative guidelines;
- Actively participates in the Job Hazard Analysis and ensures every team member complies with all Safety Procedures and applicable task-oriented job safety analyses;
- Minimizes the risk during any failure of the fire-fighting system by appropriate actions, prepares fire impairment document and sends it to the concerned people;
- Oversees and participates in equipment and site clean-up on an ongoing basis;
- Responsible for upholding the administration and implementation of the site’s Safe Work Process and Procedures.
- Ensures the chemical handling in the plant is done safely and within the proper procedures to avoid chemical spillage which results in environmental damage. Applies Emergency Response Procedures when required;
- Supervises the Chemists in all work activities that involve equipment maintenance and repair, water plant control and environmental compliance and safety.
- Trains, directs and supervises plant personnel;
- Liaises with agencies such as Dispatch, Fuel Gas Supply, etc., and ensures the recording of the communication;
- Participates in the Plant Training and Qualification Program;
- Ensures that the shift has a sufficient number of qualified employees to safely operate the facility;
- Controls the plant process and electrical distribution through the plant Distributive Control
- System (DCS) and other process control devices;
- Monitors the operation and performance of the facility whilst on shift;
- Assists in scheduling daily maintenance actions, plant configuration changes and varying power generation levels;
- Supervises water quality testing for the shift he is working on and makes corrections to the process as necessary.
- Identifies any problems with plant equipment and clearly communicates the conditions associated with these problems to the Plant Maintenance Team;
- Oversees performance and supervises plant personnel performing required daily operations activities;
- Directs the activities of Plant Operators as necessary to support the overall plant operation;
- Becomes a Systems Expert, follows up on manufacturing manuals, develops and maintains procedures and serves as a resource to others in the following:
- Gas turbine operations;
- Various auxiliaries in the plant (emergency diesel generators, fire-fighting pumps, Demineralization skid, air compressors, gas fuel station, fuel oil system and closed cooling System)
- Understands the operation of Continuous Emissions Monitoring and continues to monitor emissions and ensure they are within the limits;
- Monitors the chemical dosing at Degasing station, water treatment skid and other areas in the plant to optimize the consumption;
- Ensures the completeness of shift round checklists, routine daily/weekly/monthly test checklists and equipment change-over checklists, etc.;
- Assumes the role of Team Leader with the daily operations of the facility whilst on shift, operating equipment as needed;
- Provides technical guidance, planning and oversight of equipment design and installations;
- Coordinates with Shift Charge Engineers of other shifts;
- Submits necessary reports and recommendations to the Operations Manager concerning equipment/plant status and/or problems;
- Responsible for the generation and sending the plant’s daily data requirements in a timely manner to all applicable parties;
- Manages commercial and engineering records, sub-contractors and regulatory documentation in accordance with Best Engineering Practices and the Power Plant requirements.
- Develops and presents technical training as required to the plant operating staff;
- Collects all the required data, operating hours, outage hours, and forced outage, ensures they are well prepared and documented, their type and the related outage notifications, number of dispatches starts and related dispatch instructions.
- Collect daily data for any abnormalities, and take the proper action to rectify the problem with the help of other departments (Mechanical Maintenance, Electrical and/or I&C).
- Reports all defects in the plant to the Maintenance Department by raising these defects in CMMS (Maximo) and follows up on them until completed;
- Issues Work Permits through Maximo and makes sure tag in/tag out is properly done;
- Organises all the operations historical records, become an expert in ABB DCS to collect all the required data, prepare and monitor operational trends to monitor the plant performance in order to find any deficiencies, and improve the performance;
- Leads, coaches and develops people;
Criteria & Qualifications
- University Graduate with a BS Degree in Chemistry, Electrical, Mechanical or equivalent experience.
The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- maintain standards of conduct
- be respectful
- possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- be flexible
- demonstrate a dedication to the position
- demonstrate sound work ethics
- be consistent and fair
Qualifications and Experience
- Must have 10+ years of experience in the operation of a simple cycle power plant or similar
- Must be experienced in Control and DCS systems, such as Mark Vie, and Yokogawa or equivalent.
- Must be able to perform all tasks with minimal supervision or coaching.
- Must have operations experience in a Simple Cycle Power plant.
- Robust knowledge of a wide range of power station equipment and controls
- thorough understanding of instrumentation and controls, mechanical and electrical power system theory, with a good knowledge of power generating facilities.
- Must be proficient in English and Arabic with the ability to present information in written and verbal formats.
- The Shift Charge Engineer must be proficient with computer and capable of generating grammatically correct reports.
- Ability to work routine math concepts, such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical solutions.
All plant employees must work safely at all times. Working at the power plant may require:
- Working in varied outdoor environments such as all-weather conditions, all noise levels, hazardous conditions, and on the full range of outdoor work surfaces.
- The frequent use of protective equipment (i.e. hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, chemical suits, hot gloves and high voltage protective equipment, etc.) may be required. Work with hazardous materials may also be required.
- Working in proximity to high voltages and current with proper training and equipment, operating heavy equipment and rolling stock and entering confined spaces or hazardous environments may be required while often being exposed to equipment and machinery noises.
- Duties require walking, standing for extended periods of time, crawling, stooping, sitting, climbing vertical and inclined ladders and stairs, operation of large valves and other tasks requiring up to 45kg. of pulling or turning force, and lifting and carrying up to 25 kg. Exposure to extreme heat and cold.
- Eye and hand coordination are required to operate switches, pushbuttons, and other controls.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
- There are extensive smoking restrictions in and around the facility.
- 5 Days on / 2 days off (8 hours a day)
- This position requires extended working hours and varied shifts including weekend and holiday work. The ability to be 'on call' may also be required periodically.
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process