MSELECT is looking to hire a Senior Drilling Engineer for a major oil & gas company to be based in Erbil, Iraq.
Job Summary and Scope of Responsibilities
Plans, directs and coordinates drilling activities including reviewing, studying and approving drilling operational/engineering processes and reports. Supervises the planning and execution of the company’s drilling operations and well completion. Manages and coordinates the preparation of the drilling budget, controls expenditure and justifies variances.
- Plans and works closely with the Drilling team to manage drilling, well completion and work over operations and ensures that all operations have been thoroughly researched, engineered, programmed and implemented in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with the prescribed requirements of the subsurface team.
- Directs the preparation of drilling, drilling fluid and cement programs for drilling work over and exploration operations and the availability of the required materials.
- Engages with team members and concerned external parties to verify and approve the requirement for equipment, material, and manpower. Participates in the debrief meetings to transfer experience gained during work operations and after well completion.
- Assigns and directs tasks to Well Engineer for further investigation and ensures receiving feedback. Reviews well engineers completed works and presents to supervisor for final approval.
- Participates in the pre-planning meeting with reservoir department and major contractors to introduce modifications made by drilling department and seek their views/proposals to minimize cost.
- Carries out frequent visits to the assigned rigs for group safety meetings, self-inspection and self-auditing to ensure plant and equipment are properly maintained.
- Reviews operational and engineering reports prepared by subordinates such as drilling, well completion, work over, flow test, drill stem test and similar technical summary reports. Ensures accurate reporting of all drilling activities.
- Controls expenditure and ensures that the variances between approved budget and actual expenditure are properly justified.
- Provides overall supervision over the contracted services to ensure that all work is properly supervised and administered, includes ensuring that contacts with operating contractors and service companies are maintained at all levels and ensuring that contractors and service companies fully understand requirements and can meet them.
- Ensures safety and environmental performance of all drilling related operations by implementing and maintaining HSE programs.
- Conducts risk assessments and prepares special procedures for non-routine operations and activities.
- Frequent contacts with contracting and petroleum service companies for negotiations and supervision of work.
- Maintains and exhibits excellent working relationships with company staff.
- Keeps abreast of new development in drilling techniques and ensures that subordinates are provided with such information to improve work effectiveness and efficiency.
- Bachelor degree in Petroleum or Mechanical Engineering
- Industry training in drilling technology and Middle East experience
Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent supervisory and monitoring skills
- Excellent communication (written & verbal skills) in English
- Commitment to continues learning
- Tactful in resolving problems and disputes
- Full commitment to core value principles (HSE, leadership, people values & ethics)
- Ability to deal with individuals from various and ethnic backgrounds
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to demonstrate honesty, integrity and confidentiality
- Proactive approach
- Alertness and attention to details
- Making appropriate decisions with minimum supervision
- Excellent experience in drilling operations (technology, equipment, materials)
- Experience in HPHT wells
- Extensive experience in executing and supervising well programs
- Excellent budget and project costing skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office Suite)
Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the short listing process.