MSELECT is looking to hire a Legal Officer for a consultancy client in Erbil. Candidates must have at least 3-5 years of experience and be fluent in English, Kurdish, and Arabic.
Organizational Setting and Reporting: This position is a part of the International Law and Human Rights Team. The candidate will report to the International Law and Human Rights Lead.
- Handles a range of issues related to international law and human rights, including the interpretation and application of constitutive, legislative, and other methods employed by the client in consultation with the International Law and Human Rights Lead
- Conducts legal research and analysis and prepares memorandum, studies, comparative studies, briefs, reports, and correspondence as required especially in accordance with the client’s policy
- Undertakes basic or extensive review of legal documents, instruments, or other material; identifies important issues, similarities, and inconsistencies
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of legal opinions/ advice on domestic laws as they relate to a wide range of international law and human rights issues
- Services or assists in meetings, workshops, and events, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues and views of delegations, meeting reports, etc.
- Supports client communication on human rights with different entities: such as foreign governments, international organizations, NGOs, and media to ensure it properly represents the client’s position. This may include preparing responses to report and commentary in Arabic and/or Kurdish
- Assesses and reviews international reports and commentary on human rights protections in the Kurdistan Region, and identifies genuine shortcomings identified by foreign governments, international NGOs, and international media, and translates such documents, when necessary, from Arabic/ Kurdish to English and vice versa
- Assists the team leader in drafting recommendations to address systemic shortcomings on human rights protections in the Kurdistan Region
- Performs other related duties as required
- Theoretical knowledge of Iraqi law, the constitutional frameworks, and knowledge of the domestic legal processes and instruments in place in Iraq and the Kurdistan Region
- Demonstrated ability to apply legal principles, concepts, and policy to a range of legal work and issues
- Analytical skills and ability to conduct legal research on a range of domestic, international law, and human rights issues
- Proficiency in legal writing and ability to prepare background papers and studies on a variety of legal issues and instruments
- Strong communication (spoken and written) skills including clear and concise drafting skills in English, Arabic, and Kurdish
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results
- Works collaboratively with colleagues, shares input, and is willing to learn from others
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, can identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Demonstrates strong time management skills and uses time efficiently
- Is willing to work after the formal work hours identified above including on weekends when necessary for the fulfillment of their duties
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process