MSELECT is looking to hire an Area Support Engineer for an international oil & gas operator in Basrah. Candidates must have a minimum of 6 years relevant experience in the oil & gas industry. English and Arabic fluency is a must.
An outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated Iraqi national Process engineer to join an exciting division of the organization. This role will have the opportunity to contribute in a positive way that will help build a sustainable future for the organization and the people of Iraq.
The Area Support Engineer - Process will be embedded in the operations team and report to the Area Support Lead Engineer. The incumbent will form part of a small multidiscipline team supporting tactical field operations activities and also maintaining links into the central Functional team for assurance and strategic Engineering activities.
- Promote a culture of safety and continuous improvement
- Assist expatriates in leading and driving the wider nationalisation agenda
- Provide daily process engineering support to the Area Operations Team and be a first point of contact for any Engineering Queries or requests for troubleshooting support from the Area Operations Team.
- Single Point Accountable (SPA) for the front-end definition of various technical changes originating from operational work scopes. Carry out Site Surveys, preparation of Basis of Designs, Statement of Requirements, Engineering Query responses and Management of Change proposals.
- Play an integration role between field and the central Maintenance & Engineering teams in developing scopes, provide front line engineering and operations input .
- Focal point for Pre-Startup Safety Reviews, Emerging Risk Notifications, Operational Risk Assessments.
- Support the Operations team procedure development.
- Coordinate with Production/Operations/Maintenance staff to identify/prioritize and schedule MOC activities.
- Advise and coach a multi-disciplined Iraqi Engineering/Operations/Maintenance workforce at assigned assets.
- Ensure critical process / instrumentation & control documentation & process safety information, including P&ID’s, and Cause and Effect Diagrams are kept up to date.
- Identify areas of improvement in safety, reliability, and efficient execution of work
- Provide assurance on engineering compliance with applicable Standards, Specifications, Codes and Regulations. Ensure that non-conformities and temporary deviations are identified.
- Provide procurement engineering support for material requisition development, bid evaluations and supplier documentation reviews
- Communicate Process & Process Safety lessons learned to the site Operations team and encourage a culture of sharing experience and continuous improvement.
- Support the Major Projects, Concept Development, Small Projects and Central Engineering teams by acting as a focal point for the incorporation of operational experience into the design of projects and facilities enhancement opportunities. Facilitate Operations input into key project decisions and process safety reviews.
Degree qualified engineer in Chemical/Process Engineering or a closely related discipline.
Essential experience and job requirements
Extensive and relevant industry experience in brownfield Operations engineering support environments. 6-10 years Oil & Gas industry experience is required; International experience and multicultural Operational roles across the full value chain of hydrocarbon and produced water / water injection facilities would be an advantage. Experience in brownfield engineering, reliability, and strong technical leadership with influencing capabilities.
Candidate to demonstrate familiarity with all relevant Process engineering industry codes, standards and practices (API, ASME, ISO), and relevant experience with key Process engineering tools such as Aspen HYSYS & Flare System Analyser, Schlumberger Pipesim etc. Candidate should be able to perform own engineering calculations and prepare technical reports wherever appropriate but understand when it is necessary to seek guidance and support from others.
Desirable criteria and qualifications
- The role is intended for Iraqi national engineers
- Key skills include communication, interpersonal relationships, facilitation, influencing, and negotiating
- Ability to develop others and foster diverse relationships in a multicultural environment
- Ability to identify correct priorities of maintenance and engineering support activities
- Ability to Identify and assess safety hazards.
- Preferred to have an experience of process hazard analysis methods such as HAZOP, HAZID/ What-if, LOPA.
- A passion and relentless drive for continuous improvement
- Strong use of IT systems to analyse data, and produce reports & KPI’s etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience influencing operating teams and contractors
- Strong cultural awareness
- Able to prioritise work in a high activity environment
- Demonstrate planning, organizational and communication skills
- Able to work within a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Strong bias for being proactive and getting results
- 5 days on / 2 days off
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process.