MSELECT is looking to hire a Senior Operations Geologist for an international oil and gas operator in Basrah. Candidates must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in well execution and geological operations and be fluent in Arabic and English.
- Subsurface / New Well Delivery (NWD)
- Basra - Iraq
- 28 days on / 28 days off and will be residing in company accommodation. Due to quarantine requirements, work pattern may need to 6 weeks on / 6 weeks off until further notice.
Reporting to the NWD Manager, the Senior/Advisor Operations Geologist role is responsible for providing the subsurface support while executing and reviewing the drilling activity for wells drilled in the oil field. This includes ensuring all SOP’s and KPI’s are adhered to for drilling operations, (both rig-site and office-based activities). The role acts a focal point for Continuous Improvement within a wide remit of the role. This includes e.g. the safety culture of our team at the rig site and in the office, reporting duplication and redundancies, customer centric communication and rigorous lessons-learned process.
- The Senior/Advisor Operations Geologist will be accountable for:
Safety Critical Accountabilities
- 24hr coverage: Operations Geology SPA for new well execution and downhole problem incidents
- SPA for Offset Injector management
- Ensuring HSE guidelines are always followed on all geological operations on the rig.
- Building a strong safety ownership culture amongst the WSG and operations geologist community.
- Generate Standard Operating Procedures that Wellsite Geologists are to follow in the field, to ensure that data is gathered as per the SOR/Drilling Program, and provide training and support to make sure these are implemented
- Ensure pick reviews occur within AOP KPI
- Provide quality control to the daily and final reports, ensuring that collation of data for final report packages is correct and that wellsite report deliverables are completed in a timely manner
- Contribute to the success of Geology Competency Development Framework through coaching and mentoring.
- Support the Ops Geology Advisor on rig start-up activity, to ensure the following are managed as per rig start up documentation: New mudlogging contractors start up, Real Time data, WSG office and IT
Criteria & Qualifications
- Geoscience degree with significant (10+ years) experience in well execution and geological operations.
- Safety Focus – not only understands role of WSG and Operations Geologist in safety but acts positively to promote it in others.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Reliable and dependable team player.
- Ability to identify opportunities to improve processes and propose/implement potential solutions.
- Demonstrates shared commitment to the success of the team and the wider organization.
- Experience with and understanding of all aspects of Operations Geology, in particular with complex well trajectories (e.g. high angle wells), shale instability management and coring/core processing operations.
- Experience with Risk Management and creation of Mitigation plans for drilling activities
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process