MSELECT is looking to hire a Commercial Advisor for an international oil and gas operator in Kurdistan. Candidates must have a minimum of 8 years’ experience in upstream oil and gas commercial roles and be fluent in English.
- Chief Commercial Officer
- Legal/Company Secretary
- Operations Team
- Supply Chain Manager
- Finance Team
- Legal counsel
- JV Partner
- Govt. agencies and ministries
To provide support to the Chief Commercial Officer in the preparation of the upcoming Field Development Plan to be submitted later this year, in particular establishing and negotiating with the government a viable export route for associated gas to be used for local power generation at nearby power station.
To provide efficient, pro-active and commercially robust analysis, to develop commercial and legal framework, with support of external counsel, and to have a central role in preparation and negotiations commercial contracts (starting with a Heads of Terms). This is a temporary consultant role expected to continue for approximately 6 months.
Key responsibilities and objectives
- Achieve commercial and legal clarity with the government/buyer of gas in relation to gas exports so the company is comfortable in an investment decision of the project (via revised FDP approval).
- Active dialogue with JV partner towards alignment of strategy and tactics in negotiating with the government/buyer of gas.
- Ensuring consistency and accuracy of commercial drafting of agreements.
- Understanding of key risks to the company and mitigating those.
- Working closely with Senior Economist to ensure alignment between framework/contracts and the impact on economics and modelling results.
- Preparation of briefing notes; presentations and other papers for internal and external meetings.
- Obtain input and feedback from other internal functions to ensure a cohesive and realistic framework which is technically, legally and commercially achievable.
- Assisting with ad hoc commercial analytical research.
- Liaison with partners, consultants and sub-contractors as required.
Financial / budget responsibility
- A good legal, finance, science or mathematics focused degree or equivalent qualification (e.g. engineering, finance, economics, business administration, legal).
- Fluent English, written and spoken.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience in upstream oil and gas commercial roles – preferably in legal or financial environment with reasonable technical knowledge.
- Negotiation of commercial agreements in the E&P business – good understanding and/or experience in gas sales a plus.
- Good relationship management with JV partner and host government.
- Enthusiastic and results driven individual with the ability to achieve required results at pace and under pressure.
- Strong commercial background with the ability to understand key strategic drivers of an E&P business.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Well-honed written and verbal presentation skills.
- Well organized with the ability to meet exacting deadlines.
- High level of accuracy and accountability.
- Ability to draw information from multiple sources, and condense into a concise written report.
- Familiar with industry information sources.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Team player who is able to support both the Commercial function as well as work closely with Legal, Operations and Finance teams.
- Advanced Excel and Powerpoint proficiency.
Financial / budget responsibility
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process