MSELECT is looking to hire a Legal Support Officer for a Major International Programme in Iraq.The candidate will be responsible for the provision of legal aid services - including legal information, counselling, assistance, training and court representation, min 3 years of experience is required, candidates from both genders are welcome to apply, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
- Disseminate accurate and impartial information to the beneficiaries through individual and group counselling sessions, advisories and leaflets.
- Undertake individual sessions providing legal information and legal counseling as per the established work plan.
- Organize, lead, participate in awareness raising activities related to legal information and assistance;
- Attend relevant coordination meetings and report back to the office.
- Guide, aid in filing complaints and advocate before judicial, administrative or other bodies, according to the rules and procedures pertaining to provision of legal services
- Conduct legal protection discussions with varied target groups - using an age, gender and diversity perspective.
- With approval from the protection manager, advocate on behalf of individual clients, make direct interventions with local authorities (e.g. phone calls, letters or meetings) or other organizations (NGOs) or international organization (IOs), where appropriate;
- Refer beneficiaries/clients to other DRC team members or other agencies offering the required assistance;
- Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of a referral pathway for protection and legal assistance, respectful of the confidentiality and consent principle and DRC Standard Operating Procedures.
- Update case files on individual developments, following DRC Standard Operating Procedures and ensuring beneficiary's data are protected.
- Coordinate and maintain constructive relationships with municipalities, other local government institutions, local NGO partners, other international organizations, in coordination with the other team members.
- Prepare activity, weekly and monthly reports.
- Implement DRC legal fees guidelines and keep records for each payment.
- Promptly inform the Protection Project Manager of urgent protection cases and/or issues.
- University degree in Law; International Politics or Policy Development.
- Relevant professional experience of three (3) years as a lawyer or Legal officer.
- Familiarity with the legal procedures applied to both displaced and local communities, with specific focus on civil documentation cases (issuance/replacement of Civil IDs, Nationality IDs, Passports, Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death certificates, Residency Permits, etc.), and property rights;
- Excellent spoken and written English, Arabic or Kurdish and relevant computer skills.
- Full respect for client/organization confidentiality.
- Strong legal background and understanding of legal procedures
- Excellent analysis and reporting skills;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and respect for people with special needs and other vulnerability
- Ability to work in field locations on a daily basis
- Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player.
Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process.