MSELECT is looking to hire a Legal Counsel for an international oil and gas operator in Basrah. Candidates must have 5+ years of experience gained in a large law firm and/or in-house with a major firm and be fluent in English and Arabic.
- Senior Legal Counsel / Deputy Legal Manager
- To ensure the legality of the business of the company.
- To protect the legitimate rights and interests of the company against any encroachment
- Provide legal support and advice to upper management on relevant legal issues.
- Ensure compliance with the applicable laws, statutory regulations and other internal control formalities.
- Calculate and handle risks in business process and decision making.
- Draft legal documents such as contracts, statements, agreements etc.
- Coordinate with HR, Senior Executive Team and outside counsel pertinent to enforce company’s procedures and policies.
- Handle litigation
- Keeping up with current changes on all relevant areas of laws.
- Contributing to the enhancement of the knowledge base of the company’s legal function.
Health, Security, Safety and Environment
- Ensure compliance with all relevant health, security, safety and environmental management policies, procedures and controls within own area, monitoring, reviewing and evaluating on a continuous basis, to guarantee employee safety, legislative compliance, delivery of high-quality service and a responsible environmental attitude.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Must have a law degree from a recognized university.
- Must be admitted to a recognized bar.
- Must have 5+ years of experience gained in large law firm and/or in-house with major firm
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization
- Strong negotiating skills with both legal and financial/commercial issues
- Good at both English and Arabic and the English-Arabic legal writing.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process